Re: [g-a-devel] [Accessibility-atspi] AT-SPI and D-Bus

On Fri, 2006-08-04 at 11:33, Olaf Jan Schmidt wrote:

> Besides, the GNOME accessibility team has been arguing against every single
> change to AT-SPI that would make interoperability with Qt and KDE easier on
> thegrounds that it would not benefit their end users. I simply stopped
> listening to this line of argumentation.

This is entirely false, and I despair at hearing this sort of
statement.  I (and I am indeed the sole maintainer of the AT-SPI core
infrastructure) have made great efforts over the past years to preserve
interoperability reduce AT-SPI dependencies (for instance, removing many
Bonobo dependencies) SPECIFICALLY IN ORDER TO MAKE IT MORE PALATABLE TO
KDE.

I regret the misunderstanding, but I must emphatically state that I have
been working to achieve a mutually agreeable solution.  Interoperability
with KDE has been in the forefront of my mind when developing AT-SPI
since the first "Linux Accessibility Working Group" meeting in Los
Angeles CA over four years ago.  I have spent literally hundreds of
hours talking, emailing, and coding towards this end.

In fact my concerns about the proposed DBUS/AT-SPI work now going on in
KDE are primarily interoperability concerns; the current work would
break interoperability with Gnome, OpenOffice.org, Firefox, and
Thunderbird, whereas my suggestion to write to ATK would preserve
interoperability and still allow for migration to a DBUS-based
technology if and when DBUS is ready for the job, and if motivated
resources are found to do the migration work.

Bill