Re: [g-a-devel] [Accessibility-atspi] AT-SPI and D-Bus

[ Bill Haneman ]
> On Thu, 2006-08-0
> Qt and KDE can do what OpenOffice.org and Mozilla have done, which is
> write to the ATK interface.  The external libatk-bridge is then loaded
> at runtime as a strictly soft dependency which would make KDE apps fully
> interoperable with our existing full-features linux ATs.

Trolltech have tried to do this, and have run into obstacles because of the
way glib is written. They have therefore decided to go directly for D-Bus.
I am not familiar with the details, but I support their decision, because they
are the ones doing the work and D-Bus has always been in our agreed long-term
plan anyway.

> No engineering resources from Qt/KDE would need to touch the
> CORBA/Bonobo stuff at all, in order for this to work.  The only
> "undesirable" dependency would be glib, which is very well maintained
> and documented.

And libbonobo, and ORBit2, which is what I was referring to.

> If it doesn't interoperate with AT-SPI, how can it "be" AT-SPI?

Maybe we should rename the two versions then to prevent confusion. BG-AT-SPI
for the Bonobo/glib-based version, and D-AT-SPI for the D-Bus version?

Olaf

--
Olaf Jan Schmidt, KDE Accessibility co-maintainer, open standards
accessibility networker, Protestant theology student and webmaster of