Re: [g-a-devel] [Accessibility-atspi] AT-SPI and D-Bus

[ Bill Haneman ]
> In theory they could of course be addressed, but the only advantage that I
> can see to the migration would be increased acceptance by KDE.  That of
> course would be a very positive development which I have no wish to impede,
> but I have doubts about the practical value to the end-users who should IMO
> be the focus of our efforts.

Making Qt and KDE applications accessible via AT-SPI has clear benefits to end
users.

See
http://lists.freestandards.org/pipermail/accessibility/2006-July/001702.html
http://lists.freestandards.org/pipermail/accessibility/2006-July/001705.html
http://lists.freestandards.org/pipermail/accessibility/2006-August/001716.html
for an explanation of the glib- and ORBit2-related obstacles that make it
clear that D-Bus is the only option for Qt and KDE.

> Frankly I'd rather see us putting engineering resources into other more
> pressing work on the existing infrastructure, which is sorely needed.

Sure, going the D-Bus route requires work, but not doing this work means Qt
and KDE applications will not support AT-SPI.

No one on the Qt/KDE side is willing to put significant engineering resources
into code that is difficult to handle, includes unwanted dependencies and is
claimed by one of its key developers to be underdocumented, unfinished
("subset") and virtually unmaintained:
http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/dbus/2006-July/005214.html

> As I see it the D-BUS work is mostly orthogonal to end-user needs.

I see the D-Bus work as crucial for Qt and KDE end users.

If GNOME is not willing to make the changes to AT-SPI that are needed to do
this, then this is unfortunate, but our plan is to go with AT-SPI in any
case.

Olaf

--
Olaf Jan Schmidt, KDE Accessibility co-maintainer, open standards
accessibility networker, Protestant theology student and webmaster of