Re: [g-a-devel] gnome-speech driver parameters

Hi George:

For ECI it would make sense to separate the speaker and driver parameters, and I expect other engines will have similar properties/parameters tied in some cases to the engine as opposed to the voice. However since gnome-speech is intended to be engine-agnostic, I think any such separation should be grounded in semantics rather than implementation convenience.

One possible issue is what to do about parameters which can _only_ be set on the engine, and which would therefore interfere with one another in cases where multiple Speakers have been instantiated from such an engine. As long as it is possible to accomplish this via switching of engine parameters on-the-fly (when switching voices), and voices are not multiplexed, then I don't mind some additional bookkeeping overhead in the drivers for doing this. But there may be cases where this is difficult or perhaps impossible to implement. So if you don't mind, I'd like to return the question to you; are there parameters which the end-user is likely to wish to change on-the-fly which cannot reasonbly be associated with Speakers (aka 'voices') rather than engines, in the ECI model? My test for identifying such a parameter would be something like this:

1) parameter is something we may wish to expose to the end-user, or which an important end-user feature suggests should be modified on a per-voice basis;
2) parameter actually applies to the engine;
3) parameter cannot be switched on the engine on-the-fly in such a way that the parameter appears to be associated with a virtual 'Speaker' rather than the engine.

I suppose if we identify a few important parameters of this type, that would be justification for adding a get/setParameter API to the Gnome_Speech_SynthesisDriver.

regards

Bill

George Kraft wrote:...

The ECI APIs segregated _speaker_ and _driver_ parameters.  The
_speaker_ parameters were per speaker.  The _driver_ parameters were
global for all speakers. This is how eloquence, ibmtts, viavoice, and
ttsyn on Linux work.   I agree with you that the existing speaker
parameter interface could be used.  It's your call, I won't strong lobby
or object to either direction. :-)  Thanks.
George (gk4)