Re: [g-a-devel] gnome-speech driver parameters

On Mon, 2005-10-03 at 22:54 +0100, Bill Haneman wrote:
> George Kraft wrote:
>
> >The GNOME_Speech_Speaker.idl is able to set _voice_ parameters for
> >volume, rate, breathiness, roughness, pitch fluctuation, pitch, head
> >size, and gender.
> >
> >I would like to propose GNOME_Speech_SynthesisDriver to be able to set
> >_driver_ parameters for dictionary, input type, language dialect, number
> >mode, sample rate, synthesis mode, text mode, want word indicies, and
> >want phoneme indices.
> >

> Do you feel that it would be strongly advantageous to set these on the
> SynthesisDriver rather than the Voice?  Some of your suggestions seem to
> me to belong very much to the Speaker, for instance dialect, number
> mode, and probably dictionary.  Unless there is a compelling reason why
> these cannot or should not be applied to Speaker, I'd prefer to use the
> existing Speaker API for setting them.

The ECI APIs segregated _speaker_ and _driver_ parameters.  The
_speaker_ parameters were per speaker.  The _driver_ parameters were
global for all speakers. This is how eloquence, ibmtts, viavoice, and
ttsyn on Linux work.   I agree with you that the existing speaker
parameter interface could be used.  It's your call, I won't strong lobby
or object to either direction. :-)  Thanks.

George (gk4)