Re: [g-a-devel] AT-SPI, focus leaving and window IDs

Bill Haneman, le ven 04 mar 2005 17:55:37 +0000, a dit :
> >>I think that text-mode applications have other ways of knowing when
> >>"they" have keyboard focus (in other words, when their containing
> >>widget has X keyboard focus).
> >

> >I know ttys quite well now, and I'm really not aware of anything like
> >this. As "pseudo" stands for, the application should *not* know whether
> >it has focus or not.
>
> Where graphical terminals are concerned, I stand by my statement above.

Text-mode applications running within an xterm really *only* see the
pseudo-terminal. If they want more, they need to see that a DISPLAY
variable is set and try to connect to the Xserver. And thanks to the
WINDOWID variable, they can get to control the window. That's how
w3m+w3mimg manages to display pictures in xterms. But just ssh -X to
some other machine, launch "sleep 5 ; w3m www.google.com" there, and
before the 5 seconds expire, switch to some other window. When w3m
is launched, it finds no WINDOWID variable, so it asks the Xserver for
the current top window, hoping that it hasn't changed between pressing
Enter and the effective launching of w3m. And it gets wrong (and remains
until re-launched with the underlying xterm at toplevel).

Regards,
Samuel