Re: [g-a-devel]Nautilus menu labels

Hi Dave,

> On Fri, 2003-07-18 at 13:53, Peter Korn wrote:
> > If the menus and toolbars are hidden and unavailable (and thus in this
> > state the mainstream user is unable to interact with them), then the AT
> > user shouldn't see them either.  Note though, that in some situations
> > applications have functionality on a menu that duplicates functionality
> > provided only from the mouse (e.g. right-click of mouse to pop up a list
> > of context-sensitive options).  This duplication is explicitly OK for
> > accessibility, but then in such a case you cannot hide the
> > menu/menu-bar...
>
> Are context menus not exposed to the AT?

Context menus present an interesting challenge.  First, there should be a
keyboard command for invoking it (vs. simply a mouse right-click or some
such).  A good example is Alt-F1 on the GNOME desktop.  But the second issue
is presenting a programatic interface to it for things like GOK, or a future
voice-recognition system for command and control.  Here, we've developed the
AccessibleAction interface to allow AT programs to invoke things that might
otherwise be done by an inaccessible input device (e.g. the
PageUp/PageDown/LineUp/LineDown options depending upon where you click in a
scroll bar).  However, this isn't entirely satisfying for the case of a
large context menu, especially one that can change depending upon context.

We often advise that the contents of the context menu be duplicate somewhere
else in the UI.  But this depends upon the specific situation.

Can you describe in more detail the situation you are facing (or better
still, point me at the program and the specific scenario)?

> > Do you know what the AccessibleStateSet is for this menu?  (you can
> > check it with at-poke)  Objects that are aren't "visible" and "showing"
> > should not be rendered to the user via an AT.  If an AT is doing that,
> > it is probably a bug.
>
> The dockitem the toolbar is on, and all of the children (including the
> menus) are ENABLED and SENSITIVE, but not SHOWING or VISIBLE.

And what is the result you are concerned with when using which assistive
technology in what way?  For example, are you finding that this menu is
displayed in the GOK Menu keyboard?

Regards,

Peter Korn
Sun Accessibility team