Re: [g-a-devel]Gnome Speech FreeTTS Driver

Hmmm,

I guess calling the method you suggest from the test app is the only solution at the moment. Problem with doing it from the server side is that the time between spawning "freetts-synthesis-driver" which spawns the VM and the time when bonobo_activation_active_server_register is called by some JNI stuff is too long (five or six seconds). No way I know of to speed up VM startup either...

arg!

Marc

At 01:37 PM 9/18/2002 +0100, Michael Meeks wrote:
Hi Marc,

On Tue, 2002-09-17 at 20:21, Marc Mulcahy wrote:
> the Java VM takes several seconds to start up, and as a result,
> bonobo-activation seems to hang when attempting to activate the server for
> the first time.

        The server won't hang - it'll still respond to queries, but it'll be
blocking the client from doing anything useful :-) Also, if the
activation takes longer than a certain time - it will assume it isn't
the right component - and return a failure.

        You turn off that timeout with:

                bonobo_activation_timeout_reg_check_set (FALSE);

But; it's not neccessarily such a good plan; a really slow startup will
give the user no feedback - unless it's done asynchronously.

>  Is there a bonobo-activation timeout of some sort that I
> can lengthen to insure that the call waits long enough and returns?

        Another scheme would be to init FreeTTS idly somehow, and return
quickly from the activation method - depending on how it's done of
course [ that would involve a proxy, and we have no auto-proxying
support yet, despite this being quite easy in ORBit2 ].