Re: [g-a-devel]Gnome Speech FreeTTS Driver

Hi Marc,

On Tue, 2002-09-17 at 20:21, Marc Mulcahy wrote:
> the Java VM takes several seconds to start up, and as a result,
> bonobo-activation seems to hang when attempting to activate the server for
> the first time.

	The server won't hang - it'll still respond to queries, but it'll be
blocking the client from doing anything useful :-) Also, if the
activation takes longer than a certain time - it will assume it isn't
the right component - and return a failure.

	You turn off that timeout with:

		bonobo_activation_timeout_reg_check_set (FALSE);

	But; it's not neccessarily such a good plan; a really slow startup will
give the user no feedback - unless it's done asynchronously.

>  Is there a bonobo-activation timeout of some sort that I
> can lengthen to insure that the call waits long enough and returns?

	Another scheme would be to init FreeTTS idly somehow, and return
quickly from the activation method - depending on how it's done of
course [ that would involve a proxy, and we have no auto-proxying
support yet, despite this being quite easy in ORBit2 ].