Re: [g-a-devel]Gnome Speech FreeTTS Driver

Hi Marc,

On Wed, 2002-09-18 at 20:08, Marc Mulcahy wrote:
> I guess calling the method you suggest from the test app is the only
> solution at the moment.

	You have to call that method from the server that is registering with
b-a-s; here is the code:

bonobo-activation/bonobo-activation-init.c (bonobo_activation_postinit):

         if (bonobo_activation_activate_iid)
                g_timeout_add_full (G_PRIORITY_LOW,
                                    BONOBO_ACTIVATION_FACTORY_TIMEOUT,
                                    bonobo_activation_timeout_reg_check,
                                    NULL, NULL);
bonobo-activation/bonobo-activation-register.c (...timeout_reg_check):

void
bonobo_activation_timeout_reg_check_set (gboolean on)
{
        check_registration = on;
}

gboolean
bonobo_activation_timeout_reg_check (gpointer data)
{
        if (!check_registration)
                return FALSE;

        if (need_ior_printout) {
                g_error ("This process has not registered the required
OAFIID "
                         "your source code should register '%s'. If your
code is "
                         "performing delayed registration and this
message is trapped "
                         "in error, see
bonobo_activation_idle_reg_check_set.",
                         bonobo_activation_iid_get ());
        }

        return FALSE;
}

> Problem with doing it from the server side is that
> the time between spawning "freetts-synthesis-driver" which spawns the VM
> and the time when bonobo_activation_active_server_register is called by
> some JNI stuff is too long (five or six seconds).  No way I know of to
> speed up VM startup either...

	Just call the method I suggest, in the C registration code somewhere
before doing anything slow.

	Oh - and there is no code to do easy Object reference proxying; it's
not a hard thing to implement but Mark McLouglin'd have to whip you up
something :-)