Re: [g-a-devel]GNOME Speech

Thanks Michael, will do on the ORB trace and let you know. The other interesting tidbit is that strings 10 characcters or smaller are marshalled properly, but over 10 characters come out on the client side as empty (""). Strange-- I don't have any arrays of 10 characters char[10], everything's dynamic.

I'm the only one who has written code in GNOME speech, except I think Bill may have committed some namespace changes, so maybe just removing and then re-adding wouldn't be bad. It's not like there is much history here.

Do you have a problem if I just go ahead and do it this way for 0.1, and then we can do cvs surgery for any future renaming (which hopefully there won't be much of)? Or maybe we have to do the surgery anyway.

Thanks for the help.

Marc

At 10:25 AM 9/10/2002 +0100, Michael Meeks wrote:
Hi Marc,

On Mon, 2002-09-09 at 19:08, Marc Mulcahy wrote:
> I've branched gnome-speech and have been working on the gnome-speech0-1
> branch.  But in order to get some naming nastiness cleaned up, and in
> general improve readability,

Great - a culture of code cleaning is a really good thing to build up.

> I've done a ton of renaming files in my local
> copy which I now need to commit to the branch.  the GNOME guidelines
> suggest not removing and then re-adding files under different names, but
> how else can this be accomplished?

        You have to send me a list of the files you want renamed to what. If
there are really lots, can you send them in this format:

cp idl/Foo.idl idl/FooBar.idl
cp src/broken_underscores.c src/clean-minuses.c

        etc. since those are the operations that have to be performed on the
CVS server; you then need to yourself cvs update, and cvs remove the old
files by name. That way we keep all the files on the old branches [ in
fact we keep the renamed files on the old branches too ].

        Whether to remove and re-add a file is really a balance based on
whether anyone else has committed to it; if so, don't if not, do ;-)

> Also, I'm having problems with CORBA_strings which are a part of structs
> being marshalled properly.  I'm sure I'm doing something dumb, but can't
> for the life of me figure out what.  The IDL is:
>
> struct Parameter {
>       CORBA_string name;
>       double min;
>       double current;
>       double max;
>       boolean enumerated;
> };
>
> typedef sequence<Parameter> ParameterList;
>
> In the getSupportedParameters method implementation:
>
> ParameterList getSupportedParameters ()
>
> I'm allocing the sequence and _buffer, properly setting the _length and
> _maximum, and copying the appropriate info into the return value, ensuring
> to CORBA_string_dup the strings.  But, on the client side, the string
> sometimes comes out empty.  For example, I had a parameter called "pitch"
> which worked fine, but when I changed its name to "Baseline Pitch", the
> string on the client-side was empty.  Sure seems like I'm toasting memory
> somewhere, but can't see where and don't know why it would work sometimes.
>
> I'll be happy to commit code to the branch for review if someone can tell
> me how to deal with the renaming problem...

        As above; the string manipulation stuff sounds extremely odd.

> any ideas?

        export ORBIT2_DEBUG=traces; and see what's going across the wire from
the ORB; that'll help isolate it to one side or the other.

        HTH,