Re: [g-a-devel]GNOME Speech

Hi Marc,

On Mon, 2002-09-09 at 19:08, Marc Mulcahy wrote:
> I've branched gnome-speech and have been working on the gnome-speech0-1
> branch.  But in order to get some naming nastiness cleaned up, and in
> general improve readability,

	Great - a culture of code cleaning is a really good thing to build up.

> I've done a ton of renaming files in my local
> copy which I now need to commit to the branch.  the GNOME guidelines
> suggest not removing and then re-adding files under different names, but
> how else can this be accomplished?

	You have to send me a list of the files you want renamed to what. If
there are really lots, can you send them in this format:

cp idl/Foo.idl idl/FooBar.idl
cp src/broken_underscores.c src/clean-minuses.c

	etc. since those are the operations that have to be performed on the
CVS server; you then need to yourself cvs update, and cvs remove the old
files by name. That way we keep all the files on the old branches [ in
fact we keep the renamed files on the old branches too ].

	Whether to remove and re-add a file is really a balance based on
whether anyone else has committed to it; if so, don't if not, do ;-)

> Also, I'm having problems with CORBA_strings which are a part of structs
> being marshalled properly.  I'm sure I'm doing something dumb, but can't
> for the life of me figure out what.  The IDL is:
>
> struct Parameter {
> 	CORBA_string name;
> 	double min;
> 	double current;
> 	double max;
> 	boolean enumerated;
> };
>
> typedef sequence<Parameter> ParameterList;
>
> In the getSupportedParameters method implementation:
>
> ParameterList getSupportedParameters ()
>
> I'm allocing the sequence and _buffer, properly setting the _length and
> _maximum, and copying the appropriate info into the return value, ensuring
> to CORBA_string_dup the strings.  But, on the client side, the string
> sometimes comes out empty.  For example, I had a parameter called "pitch"
> which worked fine, but when I changed its name to "Baseline Pitch", the
> string on the client-side was empty.  Sure seems like I'm toasting memory
> somewhere, but can't see where and don't know why it would work sometimes.
>
> I'll be happy to commit code to the branch for review if someone can tell
> me how to deal with the renaming problem...

	As above; the string manipulation stuff sounds extremely odd.

> any ideas?

	export ORBIT2_DEBUG=traces; and see what's going across the wire from
the ORB; that'll help isolate it to one side or the other.

	HTH,