Re: [g-a-devel]Installing an additional library

Michael Meeks wrote:

> So I think you could expose the util API - but looking at the API I
> have the following ( non release related ) criticisms / suggestions:
>
>         * guard this API with #ifdef VERY_IMMATURE etc. ;-)
>
>         * I _suggest_ that you clarify what is going on with the
>           mag_client API, particularly, but not exclusively:

>                 + why do the client methods not allow a CORBA
>                   magnifier parameter to be passed in ? it seems
>                   strange to throw that away.
>
>         So in short - I'm fairly unhappy with it ;-)

FWIW, my opinion (which I expect you share) is that the mag_client
stuff should be binned.  The only problem is doing the work to remove
dependencies on it from the thingies that use it now.

The reason for the client bindings is the "AT vendors don't like CORBA"
argument, I am trying to pursuade our current users that calling
bonobo services in the "normal" way isn't really so scary after all.

But so far they have responded by creating their own cut-and-paste
bindings that duplicate mag_client....

Whether I did it before installing the new module or after (at any rate
before FCS ;-) I would intend to remove the mag_client code.

> > I suppose I could split this out into a separate GNOME module but
> > that seems quite messy, when the "right" solution seems to be
> > to mark it as currently unsupported while retaining it in the module
> > where it logically falls.
>
>         Surely a nicer solution is to move it into the module where it is
> needed and expose the interface to the world via a standard IDL
> interface there ?

The disadvantage to this is the already enormous proliferation of
modules.

-Bill