Re: [g-a-devel]role type - "password-text"

Hi Bill,

On Mon, 2002-07-29 at 06:56, Bill Haneman wrote:
> I do believe this is a security bug, my understanding has always been
> that a text field should report what is displayed in this case and not
> what was typed in.
>
> Certainly if we expose the password text here it creates very
> significant security issues for at-spi and accessibility solutions.

	I'm extremely un-certain that this is a security bug in at-spi, if we
remove all ways of determining what text is in that field, we have
screwed with eg. braille displays - that don't speak the string out to
the whole room [ not that an a11y desktop user would be using anything
but headphones in an office space I'm sure ;-].

	It seems to me, reasonable that we should have a role, and that the at
should honour that if it makes sense, and not if it doesn't. Simply
ensuring that no-one can possibly get at that text is not security, even
if they need to.

	Or perhaps I mis-understood the issue.