Re: [g-a-devel]Commit permissions to at-spi ...

On Mon, 2002-08-12 at 17:20, Michael Meeks wrote:

> On Mon, 2002-08-12 at 15:34, Michael Meeks wrote:
> >	This is just totally un-acceptable, I feel particularly agrieved
> >  having written such a big chunk of code
>
> 	Interestingly I see that while a large number of copyright headers were
> added, none of them mention Ximian's fairly substantial contribution and
> copyright claim.
>
> 	Difficult to evaluate it's size, since much of what I did was removing
> cut and paste code, some of it was committed by Bill, other changes were
> just seds. CVS annotate says:
>
>   11659 billh
>    6254 michael
>    2798 marcm
>     611 padraigo
>      69 mmclougl
>      39 eire
>       3 darrenk

As you say, this is not a great measure, since your patches fixed a lot
of formatting nits in my code, and I have re-formatted lots of Marc's
code, etc.  Unfortunately CVS annotate isn't very good at this kind of
granularity.

I agree that you have made substantial contributions to the code base,
however.  Our policy to date, which is in line with what I was taught in
Copyright class back in the dark ages, is that mods to existing files
are treated as "derivative works" and thus continue to hold the original
copyright notice, whereas newly committed files carry the copyright of
the new author(s).  We followed this convention, for instance, in the
Java Access Bridge for GNOME's file "unknown.c", which was originally
written by Erdi Gergo as part of "monkeybeans", though we ended up
replacing almost all of the code.

I will seek some clarification on this; bear in mind that UK/EU and US
policies may not have harmonized fully on some of these points.  At any
rate you are given prominent mention in AUTHORS; however I should

s/contributions/major contributions

Bill