Re: gnome-utils porting report

On Mon, 2001-10-15 at 05:10, Jonathan Blandford wrote:
> Bastien Nocera <hadess hadess net> writes:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > Here comes the report:
> >
> > * cromagnon, notepad: need gnome-guile
>
> These have been unmaintained forever.  I'd punt notepad in favor of
> gedit (when it gets ported) and ditch cromagnon, which hasn't really
> worked in a long long time.

I'll punt then. A replacement for cromagnon would be interesting though.

> > * gdialog: ported, how do i init everything needed for libgnomeui
> > without using gnome_program_init or gnome_init ? This program is doing
> > its own argument parsing.
>
> Erk.  How hard is it to port this to popt?

Dunno. Just asking. Will try and do that. (popt is nice in that it's
very widespread, but the API just stinks)

> > * gdiskfree: I managed to make libgtop compile again, but it needs some
> > love to make it installable in parallel. GtkDial disappeared.
>
> Not a pretty app, and made redundant by procman anyway.  Ditch it.

OK.

> > * gfloppy: TODO (uses Glade)
>
> Have you tried the new libglade + conversion script?

Not yet. I wanted to convert the "plain" apps first.

> > * gtt: TODO (uses Glade and GtkXmHtml). Is GtkXmHtml ported to Gnome2 ?
>
> This seems to have been adopted by Linas Vepstas <linas linas org>.
> We should really start trying to use gtkhtml2 to test it.

OK. Linas, what do you think ?

> > * logview: TODO (needs some "I poke with style->font by hand" crack
> > removal, and probably a UI cleanup, maybe use GtkTreeView). This could
> > be a great program equivalent to the Event Viewer of Windows NT.
> >
> > * meat-grinder: ported, icon list is broken.
> >
> > * splash: should be easy to port, needs to use GdkPixbuf instead of
> > whatever it's using now which I don't remember.
> >
> > * gcolorsel: TODO. I stopped on a problem with the Druid. How do I find
> > the nth GnomeDruidPage of a GnomeDruid ? (jrb ?)
>
> Well, that's not really the right way to use a druid and there is no way
> to do it in GNOME 2.  If people were using this before, we can add a
> gnome_druid_get_pages function.  Still, can we rework this a bit?  While
> we're at it, can we decrackify this app a bit?

I reckon there are quite some apps doing that, as the GList of the
GnomeDruidPages wasn't private. I reckon it's actually quite silly to
have your own list of GnomeDruidPage when the GnomeDruid is holding one.
So I guess, yes, we would need this function added if nobody has strong
reason against it.

About the decrackifying, could you be more precise ? The UI isn't
perfect, but it's not that bad. Do you have something precise in mind ?

Cheers

--
/Bastien Nocera
http://hadess.net