developing for 2.0

I am looking at creating a software package that needs a desktop.  I
want it to be gnome.  However, I do not want to write for 1.2/1.4 as
they are on their way out the door.  When will there be (I saw the
schedule, so this is more of giving it a name) a release, alpha or beta,
that I can install that will co-exist with 1.4 so that I can do
development as well as have my desktop?  Will this be alpha 2?  Is the
API more or less stable enough that this release will happen soon and be
similar enough to 2.0 that I won't be wasting my time?

Sincerely,
Trever Adams

P.S. Please, cc me as I am not on the list at this time (mail problems
that seem to be aggravated by mail volume).