Re: Default encoding for the GNOME 2.0 .po files

On Tue, Oct 09, 2001 at 11:45:03PM +0200, Zbigniew Chyla wrote:
> On Tue, 2001-10-09 at 23:21:18, Keld J?rn Simonsen wrote:
>
> > I would appreciate if this could still be the chouce of the
> > submitter of the .po file. I think there is no technical reason
> > to use utf-8, as gettext automatically can convert any charset
> > into utf-8.
>
> Conversion eats more memory. I'd call it a technical reason.

Well, then there are several technical reasons not to use UTF-8
and that includes that utf-8 in my environment has proven to be quite error
prone, and it is thus waisting my time, that I could have used for
something more productive. It also takes more space than the iso-8859-1
we use here. But I am more concerned about the errors made, some
of them are there for some time before they are found.

Kind regards
keld