Re: Gratious dependencies added to gnome-core

Malcolm Tredinnick wrote:

Whilst not wishing to question the quality of the libwnck code, is this
really a good idea? Until now, gnome-core has depended only on the
platform libraries and there was a metric truckload of discussions about
what went into that list and the support and stability requirements it
entails. So is making gnome-core depend upon a relatively untested
library a good idea or not?

(I'm really looking for a sense of how Alex or Havoc feel about the
code; if they both come and say it's fine and can be debugged in time
for the release, then I am happy ... but I don't get that feeling yet.)

The libwcnk library is basically an updated version of the gwmh code used in 1.4, but for the 2.0 WM hints. Putting it in a shared library is probably a good idea, so that the results of any polling can be shared by applets in the same address space (think tasklist, pager, menu on right hand side of foobar). It should clearly be marked as a non platform library though (as libgtop is).

James.

--
Email: james daa com au
WWW:   http://www.daa.com.au/~james/