Re: when will the gnome-session be ported to 2.0

On Wed, 28 Nov 2001, Malcolm Tredinnick wrote:

> On Wed, Nov 28, 2001 at 10:27:52AM +0530, bharat  tewari wrote:
> > but as per the porting document it seems that we should not be making calls
> > like gtk_signal_connect and should not use GtkObject rather we should be
> > using GObject and g_signal... kind of calls.
>
> The appropriate people to answer this won't be awake for hours yet, so
> let me throw something in...
>
> If you look at the ChangeLog and CVS commit messages for gnome-core,
> you'll see that, in fact, Mark and Glynn have been steadily moving over
> to the GObject and g_signal_*() way of doing things. There are a couple
> of places left where they haven't quite decided what the correct
> solution is yet, but these are known, too (again the ChangeLog messages
> indicate this). So, fear not, completely ported (i.e. being able to
> compile with *_DISABLE_DEPCRECATED defined) is not too far away.

And there is no reason that all of Gnome 2 need to be compiled with
DISABLE_DEPRECATED. The backwards compatibility macros/functions was put
there for a reason. To make it easy to port code.

While using g_signal_connect() is the in thing to do, and
gtk_signal_connect() seems utterly old and boring, both do in fact work
equally well.

/ Alex