Desktop Integration - 1.x and 2.x

Hi all,

One of the things we're going to have to deal with early on in GNOME 2.0 is
integration between the 2.x desktop/infrastructure and 1.x apps. Here's the
first problem we'll have to handle:

  GTK+ incompatibilities are a big problem to begin with; themes and fonts.

  .gtkrc lives along side .gtkrc-2.0, and the formats are different. The
  font rendering is different, and it's very easy to have apps running on
  the same desktop with very different character sizes.

  Themes and engines exist for the 1.x platform that don't for 2.x. Okay, so
  in some instances that might be good, ;) but having totally different
  themes and colours for 1.x and 2.x will be awkward however strange your
  theme choices are.

I guess lodging a bug on the control-centre is the best thing to do for this
one. I'm sure there's many more... Anyone?

- Jeff

--
     "What's up with that word though... it's like something you did to
          frogs in grammar school." - Ani DiFranco on bisexuality