Re: platform http ibrary

On 21Nov2001 06:58AM (-0500), Daniel Veillard wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 21, 2001 at 11:27:44AM +0000, Iain wrote:
> > On Wed, 2001-11-21 at 01:40, Justin Maurer wrote:
> > > me too. i only followed the discussion peripherally, though. did
> > > gnome-vfs have all the requisite features? my memory might be hazy, but
> > > i thought that it was just the closest thing at the time, but still
> > > needed some work. does anyone know for sure if the current plan is just
> > > to use it (possibly with the necessary enhancements)?
> >
> > Things gnome-vfs's http stuff needs off the top of my head...redirect
> > support, ssl (or is that in yet?) ummm, generally the ability to queue
>
>   POST/PUT, Digest-Auth are those here ?
>
> Daniel

gnome-vfs has SSL support and digest-auth.

POST and redirect support are planned (apps can handle redirects
manually currently, so POST is the top priority).

If you want to queue many things to be loaded in one thread, you can
do that, but you need to use the sync API and your own threading.

The 2.0 async API provides a thread pool, a job queue and priorities,
so it keeps a set of worker threads warm, will never launch more than
a given number of threads, and will give higher priority to specified
loads.

I think our general plan for the platform is to use gnome-vfs as the
network library, and use stopgap solutions for the current missing
features (mostly POST).

Another major feature that's needed is cookie support.

Regards,

Maciej