Re: [gnome-love] GNOME user environment brainstorming

Alan <alan ufies org> writes:
> <Dumb user mode on>
> What's a window manager?
> </Dumb user mode off>
>
> Seriously though, why should we make a distinction?  In the GUI world that 90%
> of the world is used to (that'd be the other 90%, not a lot of *nix people
> here) there is no such thing as a window manager, and some keys (such as
> printscreen) are global.

I think the point is just where should we implement it. FWIW jrb
appears to be adding it to the panel.

> *I* understand the difference, but do you want to have to explain to your
> granny why the key to take a screenshot is under the heading "window
> manager"?
>  I think not :)  For this (and a couple of other "global" keys) I'd
> almost say have a "key setup" entry that would be similar in purpose as the
> sawfish "shortcuts" configuration, where you can set ALT-m to minimize
> window, ALT-F4 to close, PrtScn to screenshot, etc.

I agree that the global keybindings control panel needs to somehow
merge both panel and WM keys.

(Though I'm not sure the users who don't know about the WM want to
configure keybindings anyhow, so not sure how high-priority this is;
just turn off the keybindings prefs dialogs except at advanced user
level.)

Havoc