Re: [gnome-love] GNOME user environment brainstorming

> *I* understand the difference, but do you want to have to explain to your
> granny why the key to take a screenshot is under the heading "window
> manager"?  I think not :)  For this (and a couple of other "global" keys)
I'd
> almost say have a "key setup" entry that would be similar in purpose as
the
> sawfish "shortcuts" configuration, where you can set ALT-m to minimize
> window, ALT-F4 to close, PrtScn to screenshot, etc.

I personally think that keyboard shortcuts like Alt-F4 should be eliminated
from off the face of the earth--how intuitive is Alt-F4 for closing a window
when it's a useful (as opposed to obscure) function to want to perform?
Most other "useful" shortcutted-functions (Save, Open, Print etc.) are
Control+letter combinations.  Where's the consistency?  Alt-F4 etc. needs to
be there for "backwards compatibility" but I think that we need to define
our own system-wide logical shortcut combinations and then allow for
optional "backwards-compatible" modes (extra Windows shortcuts, extra Mac
shortcuts) for those who need them and don't want to have to individually
set them up.

One other thing to take into consideration is that internationalisation
issues suddenly make certain keyboard shortcuts less intuitive to certain
groups of people (e.g. what's Ctrl-S on a Japanese keyboard?)  Perhaps the
default keybindings should be associated with the locale...  But that would
open a whole new can of worms about cross-GNOME consistency and probably
contradicts what I said above.