Re: [gnome-love] GNOME user environment brainstorming

Miguel de Icaza <miguel ximian com> writes:
> That is eggsactly what we were planning on doing with the control
> center.  That allows standard applications to be placed there without
> using the libcapplet stuff.

Who is going to do it when? No point everyone doing it.

John Harper already had it working via hacks, but it needs some fixing
up. Looks like jrb will be doing the fixup work here if necessary.

> We would keep libcapplet in place for compatibility reasons, but the
> various operations and signals and patters in the libcapplet would be
> mapped to creating a toplevel window, and standard menu entries
> `File/Exit', `Edit/Undo', etc

Menus in prefs dialogs are kind of ugly I think - aren't buttons
nicer?

Well, as long as there aren't both dialog buttons and menus at the
same time...

> With this approach (having independent executables), you can make the
> "Control Panel" just be the file manager launched in a special url
> ($prefix/share/control-center").

Yes, exactly.

> That being said, we want to have a new "shell" that is task-oriented,
> very much like the one found in Whistler.

Sounds interesting, I haven't seen Whistler yet.

Havoc