Re: Daily eye candy.

On Sat, 2001-12-08 at 12:04, Havoc Pennington wrote:
> The GTK filesel works entirely in terms of tab completion,
> so to change dir it changes the filename to "dirname/*" and tab
> completes.
>
> The widget is only useful if you treat it like a shell prompt and bang
> tab a lot. You can even do wacky globs like foo/*/*. Of course this is
> useless for saving an already-named file just as it is in the shell.
>
> Yeah, it's a bunch of crack. Probable 2.2 project is to replace it -
> if we could get a prototype of the replacement in GAL or behind the
> libbonoboui IDL sometime in the next few months that'd be awesome, and
> then move it when appropriate. (It should probably work in terms of a
> "model" object that could be either gnome-vfs or the Windows
> filesystem or the UNIX filesystem.)

I completely support changing how this works to make for a better UI,
however I would very much miss the tab completion functionality if it
went away.  I find GtkFileSel to be the most usable file selector for
opening files ever because of this functionality.

Specific useful functionality is: modifying the file list to show only
matching files, changing directories, and using * in file names.

Things like foo/*/* aren't nearly as important to me.

Anyway, I just hope this functionality doesn't go away because it would
slow down my use of gtk+ and gnome considerably.

Thanks,
   Chris