Re: Getting libgnome* into shape

On 29 Aug 2001 14:56:18 +0100, Sander Vesik wrote:
> Does it matter? I mean *REALLY* matter? We can all argue about this until
> the Sun becomes a red giant, but i remain extremely unconvinced it is an
> issue we ned to have large discussions and arguments over.

Sure, it matters. An implicit dependency is nicer because what's behind
it becomes an implementation detail. It's just like imposing the policy
of having private structures and using an accessor API instead of
messing with the structure directly, which we can all agree is
beneficial: just look at gnome-libs 1.x and it's explicit dependency on
Imlib.

> 	a) application authors like gconf and use apps that use them,
> 	   an no amount of bonobo-config pushing in libgnome will change
> 	   that

That's fine, because that's implemented on an app-by-app basis. It's not
imposed on all application developers by the platform.

> So it's largely un extremely unimportant minor detail definately not worth
> any of the fanfare and time spent on it.

Until, 3 or 4 or n years down the road we decide that gconf isn't
adequate for our configuration database and we have to go and break
everything again (see for reference gnome_config_*)

Joe