Re: The Gnome-libs wars

On 29 Aug 2001 16:37:53 -0400, jacob berkman wrote:

> so, thinking about the goals of the gnome project, there's 3:
>
> 	a)  spreading the free software message etc. etc.
> 	b)  building a nice end-user desktop environment
> 	c)  building a nice development platform

One problem with this is that c) can change the way b) is created - thus
people who are interested in b) by default need to have some level of
interest in c). Personally I would love to see the project focus on the
desktop environment as we once did - I mean when was the last time we
all really focussed on the desktop?

I understand the want/need to develop new development libraries but it
seems to me that we have so many 'platform' projects under the GNOME
umbrella that now there are *very* few people making changes to the
desktop itself - that is what the majority of users care about. This is
exactly why KDE gets more releases out the door - they focus on the
desktop. I am not saying it is the only thing we should do but it seems
to me we have lost focus.

Cheers,

Dave