Re: Getting libgnome* into shape

On Wed, Aug 29, 2001 at 11:36:18AM +0200, Dietmar Maurer wrote:
> George wrote:
>
> > >         As long as there is no include gconf.h in the installed headers, I
> > > can cope with this with a whole load of mental screaming about horrendous
> > > lack of taste, and general brokenness; preferably no GErrors would be nice
> > > as well.
> >
> > There are two pieces of API which are just as applicable to if you use GConf
> > or if you're using bonobo_config with the gconf monicker.  (or not, they're
> > just for getting paths).  They could be for all I care dropped as well.
> > Else, it's actually bonobo-conf that's adding API to libgnome*, not the other
> > way around.
>
> Why does bonobo-config add a new API? Which one? bonobo-config simply uses an
> (already) existing Bonobo interface.

I'm not saying it has to, but it does in the way things are implemented in
libgnome.

This is an excerpt from gnome-init.h:

----8<-----
/*
 * Bonobo::ConfigDatabase for desktop-wide settings.
 */
Bonobo_ConfigDatabase
gnome_program_get_desktop_config_database (GnomeProgram *program);

#define GNOME_PARAM_DESKTOP_CONFIG_DATABASE "desktop-config-database"
#define GNOME_PARAM_DESKTOP_CONFIG_MONIKER  "desktop-config-moniker"

/*
 * Bonobo::ConfigDatabase for per-application settings.
 */
Bonobo_ConfigDatabase
gnome_program_get_config_database (GnomeProgram *program);

/*
 * Shortcut for gnome_program_get_config_database (gnome_program_get ()).
 */
Bonobo_ConfigDatabase
gnome_get_config_database (void);

#define GNOME_PARAM_CONFIG_DATABASE "config-database"
#define GNOME_PARAM_CONFIG_MONIKER  "config-moniker"

George

--
George <jirka 5z com>
   People never lie so much as after a hunt, during a war or before an election.