Re: orbit-idl differences

On 27Aug2001 06:04PM (-0400), jacob berkman wrote:
> in gnome 1, Bonobo.h has:
>
>       void (*setWindowId) (PortableServer_Servant _servant,
> 			   const Bonobo_Control_windowId id,
> 			   CORBA_Environment * ev);
>
> 			- and -
>     typedef CORBA_char *Bonobo_Control_windowId;
>
> whilst gnome 2's Bonobo.h contains:
>
>       void (*setWindowId) (PortableServer_Servant _servant,
> 			   const CORBA_char * id, CORBA_Environment * ev);
>
> 			- and -
>
>      typedef CORBA_string Bonobo_Control_windowId;
>
> this is tripping up a gcc warning when assigning setWindowId, as a const
> Bonobo_Control_windowId is not the same as a const CORBA_char * (right?)
>
> so, which is the right way?
>
> (let me know if this is unclear)

I made this change intentionally after discussing with
Michael. Without it there were warnings in the generated skels
themselves.

const Bonobo_Control_windowId is equivalent to CORBA_char const *
rather than const CORBA_char *, which is a highly unuseful type (it
means you can't change the pointer but you can change what it points
to).

The GNOME 2 way is right for GNOME 2.

 - Maciej