Re: Package addition proposals

On Tue, Jan 23, 2001 at 08:07:26PM -0800, Maciej Stachowiak wrote:

> * sawfish
>
> Nearly everyone uses sawfish with GNOME, and it's by far the window
> manager with the GNOME integration. It's the de facto default GNOME
> window manager, let's go ahead and make that de jure. Sawfish depends
> on rep-gtk and librep. I suggest we include rep-gtk in GNOME, but not
> librep, since including language bindings is in GNOME tradition, but
> not including langauge implementations. However, we should put librep
> in the same area where we have libgif and libdb and the like -
> libraries needed for gnome that users might not already have, but
> which are not part of GNOME per se.

Maciej,

I'm a little concerned about this one now that I think about it.  In
the past, GNOME's position has been window manager agnostic, with a
set of GNOME wm hints constituting integration.  Now, with the release
of the freedesktop.org spec, it makes more sense than ever to stick
with this position and say that window managers that comply with the
spec are good GNOME window managers.

>From this viewpoint, it makes more sense to make sawfish part of the
extra apps release than part of the core GNOME 1.4 release.  I just
don't want window managers forced to emulate sawfish behaviour that is
not in the official spec to be considered a good GNOME window manager.

I know that this distinction is mostly superficial/cosmetic, but...

Thoughts?

--
Ian Peters      "...it is 5 am and the sun has charred the other
itp gnu org      side of the earth and come back to us and painted