Re: GNOME 1.4 beta 2 is staged

Ade Lovett <ade FreeBSD org> writes:

> On Wed, Feb 28, 2001 at 12:17:45AM -0800, Maciej Stachowiak wrote:
> >
> > I put the beta in the staging area
> > (pub/gnome/stable/staging/gnome-1.4-beta2-STAGING), holler if there is
> > something phenomenally stupid there; it looks like we are on track to
> > ship beta 2 tomorrow as scheduled.
> >
> > I will send a list of packages changed since beta 1 shortly.
>

> Will this include gnome-vfs from HEAD?  If not, there's no point in
> me even trying to build nautilus, since I know it won't work
> (as previously discussed here and in bugzilla), and the promised
> updated tarball never materialized.

Yes, there has been a new release of gnome-vfs which should address
the Solaris and FreeBSD problems (but it's not from HEAD, it's from
the gnome-vfs stable branch).

> In addition, I've seen the following portability issues that probably
> affect more than just FreeBSD.
>
>   1. both ggv and ghex require db2html in order to build any documentation,
>      unlike other packages.  If no db2html is installed, the Makefiles
>      for both packages require physical hacking to comment out the help
>      directories

I suggest contacting the maintainer, ideally with a patch that makes
it work like the help build of other modules.

>   2. xalf refuses to build in lib/, complaining at length about
>      overloading _init().

I don't know much about this.

>   3. I have a whole bunch of portability fixes from our patchsets, but
>      the sheer number of them means that they'll need to stay external
>      to GNOME 1.4 (maybe integrate for 1.4.1)

Why don't you send them to relevant maintainers and let them decide?
For Nautilus and gnome-vfs we would definitely rather see these
patches sooner rather than later.

 - Maciej