Re: Coming back to try again after a long absence - a couple of questions

On Tue, Feb 02, 2016 at 09:38:21AM +0100, Murray Cumming wrote:
On Mon, 2016-02-01 at 12:23 +0000, Chris Green wrote:
Back in 2012 I think it was I tried glom and found it didn't quite do
what I wanted.  However I'm probably looking for something different
now and also glom has moved on.

So, a couple of initial questions about how it uses databases.  I
know
that back in 2012 my major issue with glom was that it used
postresql,
it still does but things seem to have changed a bit.

I have installed glom on my xubuntu 15.10 system

Using the PPA packages, right? The official Ubuntu packages are usually
terribly out of date and buggy.

Yes.

 and tried some of the
examples, these seem somehow to work with local files rather than a
database server.  Can I get it to work the same way with my own
databases (i.e. ones I have created myself with glom)?  Will these
databases be compatible with any other software or are they specific
glom format?

It always uses a (PostgreSQL) database server. Unless you choose to use
an existing PostgreSQL database server, it starts one every time you
open the file.

Yes, I've since realised that, I had postgresql installed on the
system where I ran it.  So, as you say, Glom just starts its own
server.  That makes it *feel* a bit like sqlite in a way.

Presumably if I install a postgresql server then glom can use that
and
share the databases with other programs. Yes?

Yes.

You probably do have a PostgreSQL server installed, because it's a
dependency of Glom. And it's probably running, because that's how the
packages work in debian/Ubuntu. But it's probably not configured.

It is confugured because in the past I have run things which needed
postgresql, I've never bothered to remove it though nothing use it.

Finally what is the status of sqlite3 in glom?  Has the code been
maintained at all?  Can I build from source with the sqlite3 support
and expect it to work?

At least in the lower-level of the code (libglom and libgda) the
support is always there, and always tested by Glom's "make check"
regression tests. However, I have no plans to offer that choice in the
UI by default. It might work for you.

OK, thanks.

--
Chris Green