online glom vs. glom

Reply alone was not enough. Reply-all is the magic action..

On Wed, 2012-04-11 at 22:30 +0200, Michael Jenny wrote:
Hi there,

today I've come across the glom project and I find it very interested
(mainly because I'm doing something very similar to online glom based
on Python. But it's far from being anywhere near as sophisticated as
the glom project).

I have some questions:

First, I have cloned the online-glom repository and did the maven
buildout. When starting the app in Chrome I get:
Configuration Error: onlineglom.properties not found.
Maybe somebody can give me a hint?

That is described here:
http://www.glom.org/wiki/index.php?title=Development/OnlineGlom#Configuring_gwt-glom

and here:
http://www.glom.org/wiki/index.php?title=Development/OnlineGlom/Deployment

Thank you for your explanations. After some digging, I've found the
docs. Although I've a hard time to compile libglom on osx. Maybe I
should stick to ubuntu.

Second, do I understand it correctly that online-glom is a complete
rewrite of C++ glom in Java (as a GWT-Application)?

It currently uses libglom (C++) via JNI, with a Java (GWT) UI. I plan to
replace the use of libglom with a Java reimplementation, but only the
non-developer functionality.

Is this intention because that would enable you to provide the user
defined data structures (tables, relations, etc.) as Java objects, so
they are re-usable directly for consumption when developing user
defined web applications?

I've chosen a similar architecture, because it allows me to construct
ORM-mapped domain models (which correlates to user-defined tables) und
re-use them two-fold:

- For the management application (correlates to online-glom)
- In add-on python packages that contain customer/project specific code.

If so, do you intend it to supersede the C++ glom or will they co-exist?

They will co-exist. Rewriting all of Glom's functionality in Java and
GWT would be a massive Job.

And third: I've read that online glom is ATM a read-only application.
Is this about to change soon?

If I find the time. I hope to.

--
Murray Cumming