Re: question about details layout

On Tue, Jul 12, 2011 at 9:29 AM, Murray Cumming <murrayc openismus com> wrote:
On Mon, 2011-07-11 at 15:20 +0200, Ben Konrath wrote:
[snip]
Music Collection

<data_layout name="details" parent_table="albums">
  <data_layout_groups>
    <data_layout_group name="main">
      <data_layout_group name="overview" columns_count="2" title="Overview">
      <data_layout_group name="details" columns_count="2" title="Details">
    </data_layout_group>
  </data_layout_groups>
</data_layout>

Yes. That's the default, though the developer could change it.

That top-level group may also have a title, and you need to support
this.

Yep. :-)

Right now I'm making separate groups in the details view for subgroups
in the main / empty title data_layout_group as you can see here:

http://bagu.org:8080/OnlineGlom/#details:document=music-collection&table=albums&value=

Yes, that looks nice, though I think the gray rectangles idea will break
down when you have groups inside details, for instance.

Do you mean sub-groups within the main groups? I think I should be
able to handle that. Right now I'm trying to make things look like the
mockups as much as possible but there are many things the mockups
don't handle. I'll have to see what I come up with.

The problem is that there can be data_layout_items in that main /
empty title data_layout_group and I don't know how I should deal with
them. Should I group the items into their own box in the details view
which would make them look like a data_layout_group? Or should I just
treat the main / empty title data_layout_group as just a regular group
and not try to special case it?

I would not special case it. The desktop UI does not.

Ok, this will make things easier.

 In this case the music collection
example would just have main box in the details view.

Is this about the gray rectangle?

Yeah, by "main box" I mean the grey rectangle with rounded corners.

The other layout style that I found seems more regular and clearly
should have a box in the details view for every data_layout_group.
Here's an xml snippet:

Project Manager

<data_layout name="details" parent_table="contacts">
  <data_layout_groups>
    <data_layout_group name="header" columns_count="2" title="Overview">
    <data_layout_group name="main" columns_count="2">
  </data_layout_groups>
</data_layout>

That's interesting. Maybe I changed the default some time, though I'm
not sure why.

Anyway, I think that as soon as you deal with the visual layout with
sub-groups, you'll find that you can support everything generically.

It won't be the prettiest way to lay out particular hierarchies, but it
will be good enough.

If in doubt, you can show me an HTML mockup.

Ok, sounds good.

Thanks, Ben