Re: First time Glom usage + database question.

On Wed, 2009-06-10 at 04:09 +0200, albinootje wrote:
Murray Cumming wrote:
On Tue, 2009-06-09 at 04:51 +0200, albinootje wrote:
I was wondering about a command-line parameter to directly connect
 to a database in the network, as I find opening a connection to a
 running PostgreSQL server quite confusing after starting Glom.

Opening an existing Glom file should just ask you for the username
and password. It remembers the hostname and port. Could you explain
the difficulty in more detail, please?

 I did choose both export and "save as example" because I didn't know
how to save my data,

Data is saved in the database as soon as you enter it. The structure is
saved to the .glom file as soon as you change it. There is no need to
explictly save anything. I'd welcome suggestions to make that clearer.

Examples are just ways to create new databases (and associated Glom
files), so it's normal that it asks you to choose a filename for the new
file. Again, is there any way that we can make this clearer?

When I then try in "Open Existing Document", then "Select File",
then it sometimes happens that it shows the "Choose a glom file to open"
window with an empty field for the Name field.
And when I choose another glom file in that dialogue it always ask for
confirmation because of overwriting it. That's the point that confuses me.

But I'll see whether I can run a Linux guest VM in VirtualBox and test how
easy it is to connect to a running glom in there.