Re: Windows Admin user running Glom

On Wed, 2009-02-25 at 12:24 +0100, Murray Cumming wrote:
On Wed, 2009-02-25 at 15:39 +1300, David Martin wrote:
Hi,

When I run Glom on my Windows machine it falls over totally with an
error claiming I am running as root user.  Now I know that it may be a
bad thing to run Glom as an Admin user on windows but I would like to
be able to force Glom to run anyway, its not at all fun to have to
right click and 'Run As' a special Glom user.  I want to use Glom for
a club membership database and there is no way that any of the club
members using it would be competent to create a new user on their
machine just for Glom.

Is there any way to disable this check?

I don't think that's wise regardless of whether they use Glom. Surely
the PC should be set up for them properly?

The not-as-admin limit actually comes from PostgreSQL which we use. Even
if we wanted to, I don't think it would be easy to get around that. It
seems sensible anyway to prevent admin use for any networked
application.

It might make sense to allow running Glom with an admin account when
using SQLite, though. In the database creation dialog, we could replace
the postgresql options with a message that postgresql is only available
when not running as admin.

Armin