Re: Import

On Fri, 2007-08-24 at 23:16 +0200, Jan Claeys wrote:
Op dinsdag 21-08-2007 om 15:50 uur [tijdzone +0100], schreef Pete:
I have been using FileMaker for many years but have now changed over
completely to Linux. I have a vast amount of data that I need to
transfer. Glom appears to be developing in the right direction for me
but how can I incorporate my existing data in Glom databases? An
import facility would be useful but does not appear to exist yet.

I have never used FileMaker myself, but someone I know uses it to
maintain what is probably the best database of Belgian comic books.
From his explanations, I seem te remember that there exists a FileMaker
ODBC driver on Windows and/or (maybe?) Mac OS X, which should allow for
transferring most data.

That's an option.

FileMaker also has export-to-csv functionality built in. I guess you
could write a script that took those files and use SQL to add them as
rows in an existing Glom database.

This python script does something fairly similar, though half of it
involves getting data from a debian software archive:
http://www.murrayc.com/blog/permalink/2006/10/04/debian-repository-analyzer-for-license-compliance/

I would very much like to have some generic utility to do this. It would
probably be a separate utility application or script.