Re: [glade--]Compiling GUI source code error

>I'm new to the area of C++ programming and GUI programming with GTK+ and
>GTKmm.

So am I.

>I have been trying to compile the source code for one of my test
>projects and I had to work through a couple of errors.  I finally got
>stumped by this latest error.  When I run "make" I get dozens of these:
>
>/usr/lib/libgtkmm.so: undefined reference to `SigC::SlotDependent
>virtual table'/usr/lib/libgtkmm.so: undefined reference to
>`SigC::SlotData virtual table'
>/usr/lib/libgnomemm.so: undefined reference to
>`gtkmm_signal_set_marshal(unsigned int, void (*)(_GtkObject *, void
>(*)(...), void *, _GtkArg *))'
>/usr/lib/libgtkmm.so: undefined reference to `SigC::SlotDependent::Dep
>virtual table'
>/usr/lib/libgnomemm.so: undefined reference to `SigC::Object::
~Object(void)'
>/usr/lib/libgnomemm.so: undefined reference to
>`SigC::ObjectScoped::~ObjectScoped(void)'
>
>I know it can't find the libraries but they are there in /usr/lib/ but I
>can't understand why it can't find them.  I tried editing ld.so.conf and
>setting the LD_LIBRARY_PATH variable, and nothing worked.  Any info on
>this would be a big help.
>
>Another note is that I'm also new to Linux and I am running RedHat 8.0.
> I went through a lot of trouble installing the packages of GTKmm ,
>libgtk, sigc++, etc...  Is there any one or few places I could go to
>that would have RPM's or binaries to install and work with RH 8.  I
>haven't figured out the art of installing things and I have already had
>to reformat once when trying to install libraries and other such
>involving GTK.  Any information or sites with information on this would
>be a great help also.  The HOWTO sites I found so far haven't been
>helping.  Thanks.

I also have RH8.0 and had the same problem as you. Unfortunatelly, I didn't
had the time to solve it yet. At least I can give you some informations.
In fact the problem isn't that the compiler doesn't find the libraries but
that these are not all compiled using the same version of the compiler.

As far as I'm concerned, one of the libraries needed wasn't shipped with
RH8.0 and I used one from Ximian... I thing it was libgtkmm...
Anyway, I couldn't yet getting it working.

Please, if you find a working configuration on RH8.0, post it on this list
(which libraries, which versions, which compiler).