[glade--]Compiling GUI source code error

I'm new to the area of C++ programming and GUI programming with GTK+ and GTKmm. I have been trying to compile the source code for one of my test projects and I had to work through a couple of errors. I finally got stumped by this latest error. When I run "make" I get dozens of these:

/usr/lib/libgtkmm.so: undefined reference to `SigC::SlotDependent virtual table'/usr/lib/libgtkmm.so: undefined reference to `SigC::SlotData virtual table' /usr/lib/libgnomemm.so: undefined reference to `gtkmm_signal_set_marshal(unsigned int, void (*)(_GtkObject *, void (*)(...), void *, _GtkArg *))' /usr/lib/libgtkmm.so: undefined reference to `SigC::SlotDependent::Dep virtual table'
/usr/lib/libgnomemm.so: undefined reference to `SigC::Object::~Object(void)'
/usr/lib/libgnomemm.so: undefined reference to `SigC::ObjectScoped::~ObjectScoped(void)'

I know it can't find the libraries but they are there in /usr/lib/ but I can't understand why it can't find them. I tried editing ld.so.conf and setting the LD_LIBRARY_PATH variable, and nothing worked. Any info on this would be a big help.

Another note is that I'm also new to Linux and I am running RedHat 8.0. I went through a lot of trouble installing the packages of GTKmm , libgtk, sigc++, etc... Is there any one or few places I could go to that would have RPM's or binaries to install and work with RH 8. I haven't figured out the art of installing things and I have already had to reformat once when trying to install libraries and other such involving GTK. Any information or sites with information on this would be a great help also. The HOWTO sites I found so far haven't been helping. Thanks.

Chris