Re: [glade--]Re: glade-- and gtkmm-1.3

Damon Chaplin wrote:
On Fri, 2002-04-12 at 12:42, Christof Petig wrote:
Petr Ferschmann wrote:

By they way, do you still use the extra C++ properties we added
(Separate File, Use Heap, Separate Class, Visibility)?
We added an agent parameter to the property element so we can still include these in the XML, e.g.

Use Heap is no longer needed (since gtkmm-1.2). Separate File depends on Separate Class, so if you have an easy mechanism to code that an option is only sensible if another one is active, can you apply it here? (Oops my English plays tricks on me: If it's easy for you to do it and you find time for it, please code it. But not having it doesn't hurt much).

  <property agent="glademm" name="separate_file">True</property>

Does that sound OK?

Unfortunately I haven't updated Glade to load/save that yet, but I
should get to it this week.

but <property name="cxx_separate_file">True</> still worked up to now, didn't it? I'm fine with both but marking this property as glademm specific is definitely a good idea.

----- I have some long lasting ideas for future expansions (simply didn't find the time to code it in glade) ------

In C++ a signal callback's data needs to be typed. Up to now I use a heuristic: 'true' or 'false' -> boolean, decimal number -> int, else string. But Sometimes widget pointer or enums make sense. IIRC glade always uses const char * cast to a gpointer?

- an additional data type entry for C++ (within Signals), in C++ even more than one parameter is possible (one of gtkmm's real strengths!)

-----

Conditional Widget inclusion would be another fine feature. Say you only want a widget if defined(EXTENSION_FOO) ... Doesn't that sound a nice feature even for C? But of course this feature (once simply implemented) would call for a lot of UI (show me the window with EXTENSION2 defined) to make it work smoothly.