[Glade-users] glade, gtk 2.20 and "name" object property

On Thu, May 20, 2010 at 1:58 PM, Tadej Borov?ak <tadeboro at gmail.com> wrote:
Hello.

So, my question is:

Is it a gtk-bug and I have to post it on gtk forum since it makes existing gtkbuilder xml incompatible
with gtkrc files?
Is it a glade incompatibility and glade has to be modified so what it auto-generate "name" property in
GtkBuilder xmls?

I would call this "Glade is not catching-up" bug. I think that proper
thing to do would be to add "id" field under "General" tab and remap
"Name" filed from "id" property to "name" property of GtkWidget. More
crude method would be to simply generate "name" property for all
widgets using "id".

Right, Glade still needs to add a feature to let you edit the name separately.
There is a possibility that we drop the requirement to have an "id"
set for every widget
in the file by GTK+ 3.0 in which case only exported symbols from the Glade file
will have identifiers.

Note that syncing the "name" to the "id" defeats the purpose - one of the main
reasons the change was made in GTK+ was to allow non-unique widget names
in the project (mostly to help with GtkStyle hacks).

Tadej

--
Tadej Borov?ak
tadeboro.blogspot.com