[Glade-users] Hide on delete

On Sat, 2009-10-17 at 14:05 -0300, Tristan Van Berkom wrote:
On Sat, Oct 17, 2009 at 9:32 AM, Peyman <paskari007 at yahoo.ca> wrote:
Hello

Has anyone figured out why so many people run into the "hide-on-
delete" dilemma. It should be trivial

def hide_window(widget,data,wtree):
       widget.hide()
       return True

       window.connect('delete-event',hide_window)

but everyone, myself included, runs into this problem. I suspect it's
glade related

Peyman,
   There are a number of things we can do in Glade to make GTK+
easier to use - the fact is though no matter how well we do - the
users of Glade need to have an understanding of the underlying
toolkit GTK+.

The best we can do as far as I can see is try to provide good links
to GTK+ documentation from inside the tool and write good tutorials
or even a user manual about designing GTK+ interfaces with Glade.

A huge problem is that there just isnt enough documentation,
manuals and tutorials out there about using the Glade/GTK+
combination.

I think that fundamental problem is that people consider Glade as some
kind of crappy Linux version of Visual Basic which supposed to make you
feel like you're programmer in five minutes. Glade is just a tool to
free you from routine tasks, but first you have to understand what these
tasks are.

If one expects Glade to jump start anybody on GTK programming it is
deadly wrong. Well, maybe not deadly, but I just want to emphasize the
fact that when you have no experience with GTK and starting to use Glade
then you have to learn BOTH Glade AND GTK at the same time, which makes
things only harder.

The short opening section on the Glade home page is called "What is
Glade?". There probably should be a tad bigger section just below that
one called "What Glade is not?".