[Glade-users] on_realize() not being called

I've seen this a few times before, but haven't found an answer anywhere on
the web or in the mailinglist archives.

I have a window that I created in glade, compiles, works great. I cannot for
the life of me get the on_realize() signal to work for the window. Likewise,
I can't get ANY signal that seems like it would correspond to the window
do in a constructor if I had one. At the moment I have a button that you
have to press when you start the program, and I really don't like the idea
that initialization of dynamic classes and such aren't done until they click
that button. Any suggestions on getting on_realize() to work or a
replacement? Thanks!