[Glade-users] Gdk-CRITICAL error

Irina Brubaker wrote:

        Most of the time gui works just fine. However, sometimes the widgets do
not show updates. For example, I have a label widget which I
periodically update in a pthread, using
gtk_label_set_text(GTK_LABEL(load_label), new_load).

Someone will hopefully correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm certain that
you're not allowed to do this.  IIRC all GUI code has to be in the same
thread.  What I suspect you are seeing is the result of various
dataraces that occur if you don't.  AFAIK the correct way to do this is
to call gtk_idle_add() and add a function that call's
gtk_label_set_text().

Of course I may be wrong and Gtk+ may be completely thread safe, but I
doubt it.

Andrae Muys