[Glade-users] hello there

Michael wrote:

        Hello there , its the first time I send mail to this list . I find Glade
very , very useful to me .

        I am a Windows Programmer and I aim to port my application ( TurboIRC 2000
, http://www.turboirc.com ) to Linux . I was able to create the basic
interface (window , menu , toolbars )  . However I haven't quite understood
the mechanism of the widget placement in a window .

        For example , I create a window and if i put a checkbox , it will take
whole space of the window . How can I limit its space and position
(x,y,w,h)?

This is in the FAQ (at glade.pn.org):

1.1 When I add a widget to a window, it fills the whole window and I can't
    add any other widgets.

 A: This is not a bug in Glade! In GTK+ you use containers to lay out your
    widgets. The commonly-used containers are at the bottom of the main
    page on the palette. Try adding a vertical box to a window in Glade.
    Now add a table to one of the positions in the vertical box.
    Do you get the idea now?

    If you really want to position widgets at specific coordinates, try the
    Fixed container. However, this isn't recommended since your
    windows/dialogs will not look good when resized, and if you translate
    the text in the labels and buttons into other languages they may not fit.