[Glade-devel] Building User Interfaces by Direct Manipulation (Cardelli paper)

I have read this paper from Luca Cardelli around 1998.
I have found it very interesting, and always have found the vbox and
hbox model deceiving in comparison. I guess I have had since the first
time I had read it the intention of one day implementing these
stretching rules, but never become good enough or care enough to
actually implement them.

But I really wish something like that (stretching rules) to be
available inside Glade.

The paper is now very old (written in 1988 I think). But I think that
some of the ideas should have been implemented a long time ago in
tools like Glade.

Here is a place where you can download it without being a member of
ACM (which I am not):
http://lucacardelli.name/Papers/Toolkit.pdf

Hope someone among you could at least read the section 2 and see if it
can be used inside/with Glade.