[Glade-devel] Vote on style editor

On Tue, 2005-03-08 at 09:27 -0500, Tristan Van Berkom wrote:
On Tue, 08 Mar 2005 11:49:07 +0100, Murray Cumming <murrayc murrayc com> wrote:
[...]
A developer shouldn't use GtkFixed for thier desktop applications, but OTOH
GtkFixed is the ideal solution for a target machine with a fixed resolution

I don't think anybody ever writes software for a fixed resolution.
There's always a new generation of the target hardware.
[...]
If you can list some situations when a user would need to use this then
I could have an opinion. Otherwise, you are encouraging people to do bad
things without a reason. Like generating code.

While there is always a new generation of hardware (we are migrating
from 800x600 --> 1024x768), it still doesn't make sence to skin an
embedded device with relative coordinates, why ?

Here is an example,
    I work at touchtunes (you can get an idea what it looks like here
http://www.touchtunes.com/our_jukebox/ ). All widget graphics are custom
made using applications such as photoshop, studio4D, softimage etc...

That's unfortunate, and I hope there is some alternative. I hope that it
doesn't make life too confusing for regular glade users who don't have
these problems.

The moment that we change screen resolution, we'll have to upgrade the
skinset to go with the appropriate hardware (we do also have some old
jukeboxes running in 640x480), but thats OK, thats just whats needed to
achieve a full-blown true-colour jukebox experience; with the exceptions
of a few custom widgets that we use which pre-composite thier graphics
to the parent widget, in most cases we just cant settle for scaled to
fit graphics;
the artist *has* to know what his work will look like pixel for pixel.

It is my opinion that as soon as you exit the desktop translatable

Most embedded software needs to be translated just as much as desktop
software, making automatic layout essential.

 accessible
mania of the home computer and enter custom UI's with the intention of
having a rocking look'n'feel that will apeal to the most computer illiterate
people; you need custom themes, and you need a fixed coordinate system.

Murray Cumming
murrayc murrayc com
www.murrayc.com
www.openismus.com