[Glade-devel] Re: Glade integration in Anjuta

On Thu, 20 Jan 2005 18:41:05 +0530, Naba Kumar <kh_naba gmx net> wrote:
Hi all,

I am not sure where is the proper mailing list to discuss glade-3
related developments, so I am sending it to all of you :-). Please feel
free to point me to the correct mailing list.

As we keep on getting many requests, I have been thinking a lot about
Glade[-3] integration in Anjuta and recently did some work to get it
working.

Please see the following screenshot:
http://www.anjuta.org/screenshots/anjuta-2.0/anjuta-2.0.0-shot3.png

(More about Anjuta 2.0: http://www.anjuta.org/wiki/index.php/Anjuta2)

The requirement for such integration from Anjuta side is to have a
library that can allow re-construction of the glade UI. The framework is
such that we will have glade plugin in Anjuta that will install glade in
Anjuta shell.

Hi,
    As you probably know; glade-3 is having some issues that have
to be dealt with before anything can really be distributed, namely
glade file saving mechanism.

As you've noticed, the bulk of glade-3 development has been
emerging on the LIBGLADE_INTEGRATION branch and it makes
no sence for me to apply major patches to HEAD ATM.

As people in general are feeling hesitant to include file saveing in
libglade I fear that we will have to write our equivalent in the glade-3
codebase (it turns out that it was a little more complicated than we
thought, although that should be expected because its always the case ;-)

In light of the situation; I think the appropriate course of action is to
apply the anjuta changes to LIBGLADE_INTEGRATION (as you pointed
out on irc, it doesn't change much for your patch) and then turn our
focus to the libglade modifications that we are depending on.

Right now that means:
    - Reconsidering the parser sharing aproach
    - Getting at least the other changes in (i18n'ness & non-widget objects)

For that it would really be best if we could all have a meeting and sort this
out with James.

Unfortunatly, that might not be fast enough for your beta release...
I dont really know what to say about that (and I wouldn't really call
glade-3 beta material yet either, the core codebase is rock-solid IMO,
only there are alot of annoying loose ends, like composite widget dialogs
that are a true pain to deal with).