[Glade-devel] Re: Glade integration in Anjuta

Hi Naba,

Looks sweet man :-)

btw, long time man! How have you been?

Regards,
Archit

On Thu, 2005-01-20 at 18:41 +0530, Naba Kumar wrote:
Hi all,

I am not sure where is the proper mailing list to discuss glade-3
related developments, so I am sending it to all of you :-). Please feel
free to point me to the correct mailing list.

As we keep on getting many requests, I have been thinking a lot about
Glade[-3] integration in Anjuta and recently did some work to get it
working.

Please see the following screenshot:
http://www.anjuta.org/screenshots/anjuta-2.0/anjuta-2.0.0-shot3.png

(More about Anjuta 2.0: http://www.anjuta.org/wiki/index.php/Anjuta2)

The requirement for such integration from Anjuta side is to have a
library that can allow re-construction of the glade UI. The framework is
such that we will have glade plugin in Anjuta that will install glade in
Anjuta shell.

For glade-3, this basically means:

1) Segregating UI and application engine.
2) Creating a library for the engine (I called it libgladeui, but feel
free to suggest a better name).
3) glade application specific UI in glade-3 executable.

glade-3 code is already nicely organized, so I had little difficulty in
doing the above. The only place I have to massively fix was
glade-project-window.[h,c].

Here is a patch and some new files that takes care of the above things.

Originally, glade-project-window was a global app thingy. Now, I have
made it into a proper gobject class (derived from GladeApp, see below).
This class is now only the UI parts of glade that goes in the
executable. In a way, we can say it provides a UI for the
GladeApp/libgladeui engine in form of glade-3 program.

I also introduced GladeApp class which basically separates the
UI-independent codes from glade-project-window, such as various project
related codes and overall functioning of glade. It, therefore,
represents the "engine" part and goes in the libgladeui library (along
with the rest of codes).

The introduction of GladeApp was necessary to present a functioning
layer to the remaining codes while at the same time allowing having any
arbitrary GladeApp derived UIs.

I also introduced some glade_default_app_* functions to make rest of the
codes feel minimal effect from this change -- kind of a wrapper for
earlier global app object.

The changes does not affect the overall glade-3 functioning, so glade-3
should just continue working like it used to before.

One issue I can anticipate in this patch is windows specific bugs.
Someone with better knowledge, please see if there is anything that
should be done for win builds.

Thanks and comments are welcome.

Regards,
-Naba